Sunday, April 19, 2009

Belly Dancing Calenzano Italy

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

My inaugurazione (art reception) at Sei Divino here in Florence, Italy, went well last Thursday night. The reception was 7 - 11 p.m., but there were still lots of people there and I was pulled onto the dance floor around midnight. Home by 3 a.m. and the next night was a 1920s-theme birthday party for my friend Terra. I will write more about my exhibit when I can get caught up and in a few days, you may see 1920-party images on Facebook, if you like.


Saturday morning my friend Susan called me. We met at the Santa Maria Novella train station about noon - just as hail poured down on us (made me laugh) and we caught the # 2 bus to Calenzano. We found the dance studio on Via Vivaldi and caught up with the workshop being conducted by Aisha Ali. It was really fun. If I were not a sculptor (and if I had not been born such a shy person), I would definitely have been a dancer.


The music was great. Back in the 1970s, Aisha went to many countries and began to record the music she heard there. We danced to Egyptian, Tunisian, Moroccan, and Algerian music. I think we had a group of about 50 dancers. It was so great to be inside a real dance studio - with the bar along one wall and the mirrors against the other. Most everyone wore belly-dancing attire. There was so much color in the room!

Today, I go to meet my friend Elena in Piazza della Repubblica. She designs shoes for Gucci and made a trasloco to Roma with the company back in February. So today will be a fun reunion.

On a more serious note, several people have written to me asking how they can help me to help the victims of the terremoto (earthquake) here in Italy. I do not have an easy way to set up fundraising to help the Italian earthquake victims. However, fellow blogger, Sara Rosso, wrote a wonderful personal story and gave resources on how you can help.

Check out her blog entry:

http://www.msadventuresinitaly.com/blog/2009/04/07/earthquake-in-abruzzo-italy-and-reflections-on-another-california-earthquake/


1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

Sounds like things are going well. Love the photos. You had a reception like we celebrate birthdays, on and on. Ha.

Oh, we went to Juan in a Million for lunch one day before the baseball game. It was fun, met Juan.