Saturday, June 20, 2009

Male Nude Art


Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

After seeing my artwork at Sei Divino’s here in Florence, Italy, some time ago, an acquaintance told me that he would like to become a nude model. So we talked about how to go about applying for the job and I would hire him to work for my Open Studio at the Angel Academy of Art.

When the day came, he was late. I called him and he said, “in 15 minutes.” I responded, “Ti aspettiamo.” (We are waiting for you.) When he arrived, he asked, “We? I thought I was modeling only for you.” Uh oh. How could that have happened? Not wanting him to feel put on the spot, I showed him the workspace and the model room and told him that he could leave the robe over him as he desired.

Fabric is wonderful to draw and when it is on a model it is even more complex because it never returns to the pose in the same position. One must work fast and one ends up creating a composition of many variants. Our model did a wonderful job and afterwards told me he would love to model again. I told him that the school closes its Open Studio sessions soon and it would be October before they start up again. He was very sweet and replied that he would wait for when I come back because he prefers to work with me in the session. So, here is my charcoal figure drawing of the charming Giovanni.

“Giovanni --10 Giugno 2009” 17” x 11” $150, includes shipping.
Charcoal / carboncino
A greenish paper -- Canson Mi-Teintes








4 comments:

Lee Ryan said...

Ha! That's a funny story. I've always wondered what motivated people to become nude models; whether it is for money or just the thrill to sit nude in front of strangers. Humm.

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Well, maybe I am a too much of a romantic, but I do not think all of the motivations are as mundane as those. Some people are truly fascinated by art and some like the idea of a type of immortality by being inspiration for art (in the same way, I suppose, that others express their idea of immortality by having children).

I have had the experience of many models, new and seasoned, telling me that they enjoy working with me. I like to think it is because I respect people and try to make the models feel comfortable as much as possible for this difficult job.

Then again, there is truth in everything and often more than one reason (or benefit) for a person's actions.

Thank you for writing!

Andrew said...

I think people who have never attended a figure drawing session (as artist or model) have a range of reasons for wanting to (or not wanting to) pose nude. I've read many comments on the web which indicate more interest in exhibitionism than art. Sometimes people say they would only pose for one gender or the other, which implies something sexual about the experience.

I would think art modeling would get boring very quickly if that (or money) is the motivation.

The artists have drawn the nude figure so many times, there is no shock value. With art students, any awkwardness wears off with the first day of class. They are too busy identifying shadow values, negative spaces, proportions, and trying to capture these on paper, canvas, or clay.

Art modeling is about creativity in posing, and holding still. It is more physically demanding than it sounds.

So then why do it? I think Kelly's idea of being immortalized is part of it. I certainly take pride in the artwork I posed for. I think also there's an enjoyment of the creative collaboration. I am most motivated when I feel like a part of the artistic process (as opposed to a commodity, like a piece of fruit).

-Andrew

Theresa Taylor Bayer said...

That's a really nice drawing, and the fabric adds to the sense of gesture. Well captured.