Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Gem and Mineral Exhibit La Specola Florence

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

Yesterday I went to see Mostra Cristalli: la più bella mostra di minerali al mondo inside of La Specola Natural History Museum in Florence, Italy. While I cannot claim to have seen all the mineral specimens in the world, this was indeed an incredible collection. And I went with a friend who collects gems and minerals and was told the high selling prices for stones much smaller than the ones presented here. The value of this collection boggles the mind. So much is one man’s passion!

Adalberto Giazotto, a particle physicist, started his collection as many children do: with small pieces that created a “wonderful obsession.” As an adult, he traveled the world to add to the quality of his collection, often buying an unusual mineral or an entire collection from other passionate people. The minerals and gems came from countries such as Brazil, China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Russia. Some even originated in the United States (Colorado, Tennessee) and I enjoyed the special section on minerals from Tuscany.





There were over 500 stones on display, most beautifully lit in a comfortably dark space. In fact, I was a bit disappointed by the book for the exhibit because the lighting of each mineral and gem was rather flat. In some instances, all sense of dimensionality was lacking. I am sure, though, that they created the photography before the exhibit lighting showed more possibilities.

Certainly the wide variety of both saturated and subtle colors dazzled. But I think I enjoyed most how strong geometrical shapes seems to push their way through organic shapes. I was reminded of the life under the ocean a lot. There were delicate fibers inside and extending beyond hard crystals. And I include here one piece in which one does not need to be a cloud watcher to recognize the form of a rabbit!









As we left the museum, we took another look at the tribute to Galileo. I include an image of this room because it is so typically Italian.

You may see something of Mostra Cristalli: la più bella mostra di minerali al mondo on the Web site: www.mostracristallifirenze.it and relax, it is in English also.

If you like what you read, enjoy the photos, and would like to help support this blog(ger) / artist, click here . . .




3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great photos and an informative article. The gem are gorgeous. I'm hoping to get to Florence this fall and would love to see this show. Thank you.

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

cool thank you for the feedback!

Jeanne Rhea said...

Oh, I would have loved to see that exhibit! I love, love seeing gems and minerals esp. when not carved or worked on yet. Thanks for all the photos.