Sunday, May 18, 2008

Street Painting Madonnari - Florence, Italy

Cari Amici,

On Thursday, May 15, I began another street painting on Via Calimala in Florence, Italy. This time, I challenged myself with a Bouguereau – a child’s face. He created the original painting ”La Tricoteuse” (“The Little Knitter”) in 1882.

A bit of a stressful thing about street painting is that while your good days happen in public, but so do your bad days. I have learned that major errors that happen in the beginning of creating a drawing usually are a constant struggle throughout the process. In this case, it is difficult to get rid of the poor attempt and start again. You can see here in this first image that I have already done a horrible job with the eyes. I never did get them right (or the level of contrast on the shadow side of the face, the mouth, the chin, etc.).


The mother of the two German children that I invited to draw with me took this second image. The rules of the madonnari state that no other person is allowed to draw in our spaces. But those kids were so cute and interested and I happened to have a large area of white background, so . . . occasionally, rules must bend for the greater good. And yes, I did receive the mother’s permission to post this image of her children.


I madonnari (the Italian word for street painters) all had a large street painting festival in Nocera Superiore, south, near Naples on Friday and Saturday. I really wanted to go, but with my never-ending influenza, I worried that a trip might set me back again. However, since all the madonnari would be gone the next day, Claudio (the organizer) told me that I could leave my drawing that night and keep working on it the next day. I decided to take advantage of this and work at a slower pace. This next image is how much I had completed by midnight.

I worked in the studio on Friday morning, my last day with the model Ernesto. When I returned to my square on Via Calimala at around 2 p.m., here is what the street cleaner did with my drawing. You can see a lot of evidence of the texture of the street. Some spots, such as the two on the girl’s neck, do not accept pastel well.


Most of the drawing is still intact, so I set about repairing her, starting of course with the face. But shortly after that, the rains came – again! Allora, my one day as the sole working madonnari in Florence was a wash. I returned to the studio to work on my unfinished écorché drawing and prepare him for the upcoming exhibition this Thursday.

Ciao domani,
Kelly

PS Happy Birthday, Dad, and also to Aunt Chris.

3 comments:

Irreverent Italy said...

Hi Kelly! I thought you said that the Florentines were going after the Madonnari...what's up with that???

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

uh oh -- guess I forgot that follow-up, did I not? What happened (to my knowledge) is that we madonnari had a meeting and decided to pay the (more than 900% high) taxes so that we could keep working for the next quarter while we continue to try to work with the Comune for a do-able solution.

An Italian friend of mine texted me yesterday that he had read that we won with the Comune, ma I have not heard this and I saw Claudio on Thursday before the festival in Nocera Superiore. But I will ask for more information the next time I see my madonnari friends.

Between the flu and the rain, I have not been able to do much street painting. I have a permit to paint each Monday and every other Thursday up to the quarter's end on 30 June. But tomorrow looks like tons of rain, so I will take advantage of that and try to finish my second charcoal drawing for my exhibit this Thursday.

Thank you for the question!
Kelly

José Carrilho (Go Detail) said...

Ciao Kelly,

Your works are quite good.
On this one, I especially like the sensation of space.
And of course that the girl is spot on.
One day I hope to visit Florence.

Buona fortuna,

José