Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Portrait Painting

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

It is a joy to hear about a person who gives to others with an open heart. I learned of such a man recently when I was commissioned to paint his portrait.

Franklin Barry Gallery owner Don Elliott in Indianapolis sent me two snapshots taken by my American patron of the man I am to paint, “Big” John Henderson. I am not fond of working from photos, especially flash photos, however, sometimes that is all we have with which to work.

“There is nothing so intimidating as a white canvas.” I do not know who originated that quote, perhaps someone who is not a “clean-freak.” In any event, my first step was to apply a light wash of ‘rootbeer color’ on the canvas. Many years ago, I was visiting my friend Rebecca Neef in Bastrop, Texas, and I saw a copy she painted of a work by the late John White Alexander. I immediately fell in love with the rootbeer-colored glaze that Rebecca used on the dress of the figure. Turned out that Rebecca made the paint herself, having studied classic pigment making. She called it ‘asphaltum’, but decided ‘rootbeer’ was a more romantic name. I bought the paint from her straight away. I love this juicy color!

Winsor and Newton (W and N) now makes a similar hue called “Transparent Brown Oxide” and Rebecca said she stopped making asphaltum after she discovered this. So, having used up most of Rebecca’s pigments, I now use WandN.

Next, I posted my printouts of the images I received via e-mail and figured out my design of shapes on another sheet of paper. I later transferred my final portrait design to the canvas.

The transfer (vs. directly painting on the canvas) allows me to play with my design without ruining the background color, not having decided how much of I want to keep. It also allows me to move the figure around until I am pleased with where he sits in the composition.


Now for the goodie: Don Elliott asked me to continue my portrait special and so, I will. Here is the basic information on this offer:

From your photographs or from life, when possible:
You may choose:
Half life-size or smaller in pencil: $300 per head/person
Life-size (approx.) in charcoal: $500 per head/person
Life-size oil painting – monochromatic (sepia): $700 per head/person
If you prefer color, a life-size pastel drawing: $600 per head/person, life-size
Plus, FREE SHIPPING from Florence, Italy.

Contact me for details (just respond to this blog or visit my site).
Please let me know if this is a gift or if you are having another deadline (such as an anniversary party or wedding) so that I can make sure you receive your original art on time. All submitted photographs must be accompanied by permission from the copyright holder for a one-time use to create a painting from the photograph. And of course, if you were here in Florence, Italy, I would love to make a drawing of you from life.

Thank you for your continued interest and support. More to come . . .

2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Great start to this Kelly, thanks for the info on the paint. My friend, Sue, from Michigan is coming in a couple of weeks and we are getting together with Rebecca and Regina for a pastel lesson with Rebecca. We should learn something, right?

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Hi Jo, You are sure to learn some good things from Rebecca. We all learn from each other and Rebecca really studies about pigments and such. Have a great time, sorry I cannot join you.