Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fiesole Italy

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

I attended a party up the mountain from Florence not too long ago. It was at a private home in Fiesole, Italy. As much as I love the city of Florence, I often miss trees. And air. Of course, everyone breathes in Florence, but let’s face it: nothing beats mountain air! I loved my escape to this party!

This first image is simply a reminder for me of a funny event that occurred when I got my first apartment in Florence. Imagine my joy as I waited at the bus stop of Fiesole’s main piazza of seeing a man waiting for the bus in his slippers! That is SO me! Two years ago shortly after I moved to Florence, I bought slippers at a little shoe store not far from my apartment. I knew that the stone floors would kill my calves. However, I felt that my sense of fashion was insulted when the saleslady said to me in Italian, “You do understand that these shoes are to be worn only indoors!” How could she know?

These next two images are from a walk I took up in Fiesole. The paths overlook the Florentine valley. I got a kick out of the “Pericolo di Caduta” (‘Danger of Falling’) sign. In the sunset picture, the famous marble quarries of Carrara are behind one of the pointier mountain peaks on the horizon (left of center).



And this last romantic image is to share with you so much of the warmth of winter in Tuscany. I love these Italian homes of stone and wood. The oranges and the iron just completed the natura morte for me. Enjoy!

P.S. Fiesole is pronounced “Fee-AY-so-lay.”


If you like what you read and would like to help support this blog(ger) / artist, click here . . .


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blogging, Thanks for sharing, Kelly.
Gene P.

Guy said...

VERY sweet gig, living and working in Florence Kelly! Have you seen any of the Bernini sculptures yet? If not, they're a must-see, especially his smaller terracotta studies. Warning, they'll make anyone feel inadequate. Good for you, making it in Florence and especially good for you doing portrait drawing. Its an excellent way to hone all your skills and you won't be sorry you did it, whether or not you move on to other things. If you get to up sate NY in the summer you have to come by the island and work in my studio for some R&R. Rustic, but very relaxing.

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

I have seen some Berninis -- and yes, one in small clay -- definitely recognizable and while I cannot remember where -- forse the Horne Museum, I was not expecting to see a Bernini there -- but undeniably his. great.

I hope to post my latest sculpture -- argilla (clay) too. soon, I hope. grazie per the encouragement!
and an invitation -- how cool is that! Remind me this summer. that could work, although I also have an invitation to Latvia.

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

I have seen some Berninis -- and yes, one in small clay -- definitely recognizable and while I cannot remember where -- forse the Horne Museum, I was not expecting to see a Bernini there -- but undeniably his. great.

I hope to post my latest sculpture -- argilla (clay) too. soon, I hope. grazie per the encouragement!
and an invitation -- how cool is that! Remind me this summer. that could work, although I also have an invitation to Latvia.