Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Epiphany National Holiday in Italy

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

Today many businesses were closed for the national holiday celebrating the Epiphany. There is also a legend here in Italy about the Befana. She is an old woman, usually depicted as a witch on a broom, who brings gifts to children on the Epiphany. I enclose an image here of a hanging ornament my fiorentino friend Simone gave me last night when we met at the Edison bookstore for a chat.


There was a large parade in the central part of the city. I missed some of it because after my drawing session today, I went to visit some friends and got involved in a rather serious conversation (how could it not be?) about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. However, I managed to ride my bike up to the Uffizi Corrider and snapped a few shots of some rather handsome costumed Italians.

And I even heard the voice of my friend Jasmine behind me and thus I surprisingly met up with her and Jesper and Inga. I love this small town!

And since I am celebrating eight years of creating art full-time this month (I consider the 11th to be the actual anniversary) by offering free shipping from Florence, Italy, of any portrait I do for you, I wanted to leave you with this little pencil drawing. Last October, I drew this almost-profile view Nestor, a Columbian that I know here in Florence. The original pencil drawing is approximately 3 x 3 inches. He is available, just ask. Thank you!

No comments: