Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Milan Italy Duomo Interior

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

Inside the Duomo di Milano in Italy there are an uncountable number of treasures. For about ten minutes I watched the restoration of the altar of San Giuseppe (St. Joseph). There always seems to be such a great debate about how restoration can best be done on cherished works of art. That is a good thing as time and technology offer feedback and new techniques, respectively.


As I walked around the back of the main altar, I was photographing patterns of light and dark, as I often do. This time my attention had drifted to a crypt under the altar. As I peered through windows and played with different compositions, I heard this gentile voice ask me in Italian who was buried in the elaborate tomb. Ever flattered to be addressed in a language I know not well, I turned to see a kind American face, and said truthfully (perhaps blasphemously) in English, “I have no idea. For me, it is not important. I was seeking the light and shadows.”


And this was how I met Darlene Aldrich and her husband Joe, as well as her brother Loren Mayfield. This couple is from Thornton, Colorado, US, and Loren is from Elgin, Texas, not even one hour’s drive from my home in central Texas. We discussed the stone carving symposium in Marble, Colorado, and various things about art and Italy, enjoying the idea of the small world.


We later descended the stairs to see the tesoro (treasure), or crypt of San Carlo Borromeo. We parted ways after taking a couple of snapshots and exchanging contact information.

I include here a few more images that I took inside Milano’s Duomo. The cathedral is intricate and beautiful, delicate and strong. The colors in the stained glass windows are brilliant and apparently were painted by hand on the glass. My coinquillina (roommate) Elena told me that her grandfather assisted in painting part of the stained glass in his city’s Duomo.


As in many churches in Italy, the floor is not to be missed. Like this cathedral in Milan, Italy, the floor is a mosaic of inlaid stones. Milano’s Duomo is undergoing extensive restoration, but there is so much to see that is not under wraps that even if you arrive in Italy before the project is finished, you are not likely to be disappointed.



If you like what you read, please consider supporting this blog a little bit . . .


No comments: