Monday, June 9, 2008

Alps in Cercivento, Italy



Cari Amici,

I was invited to see a friend in Cercivento, Italy, and so, I took a train to Udine in northeastern Italy on Friday evening. My friend greeted me there and we drove north for about one hour. The Alps were beautiful and serene. The rain kept us from hiking up these mountains as much as I would have enjoyed, but I also find peace in the sound of raindrops hitting rooftops.


One afternoon, we had to stop our ascent up the mountain because huge clouds were rolling in. The landscape was changing so dramatically into a sea of white that it became dangerous to go up further. Pictured here is a take-off ramp for hang gliders before it, too, became hidden from view. I wanted to try hang gliding for my 30th birthday, but never knew where to go. (And my friend Australian sculptor Mick took his first hang-gliding lesson for his 50th birthday, so I think I still have some time ;-)

These other images are of Lago Cavazzo, south of where I was staying. Even though we visited on a Saturday, this free park was almost empty, save for a few fishermen and a charming older couple. And apparently, the waters were more tranquille than normal.

I was told that because of the unusual cooler and rainy weather that Italy has been experiencing this year, I arrived before the wild strawberries did. Bummer. However, this vacanza breva was a much needed break from my routine and I was delighted to have seen a part of Italy I might not had taken the time to see otherwise.

Please enjoy the photos. Perhaps tomorrow I can share a few more.
Ciao, ciao,
Kelly

2 comments:

Kristy Gordon said...

beautiful!

Anonymous said...

hey girl i'm back from chicago. we had a great time. went to the art instaute lots of cool sculpture. wow you street art and pictures are breath taking. i wish i could be there with you. what an experence to live. went to steves pot luck dinner last night always a lot of cool people there and steve poured bronze for two pieces. fun was had by all. looking forward to you comimg home...Rodney