Thursday, February 21, 2008

Drawing Portrait of Anthony



As I may have mentioned before, I feel weak in the area of portraiture and want to improve this. Several of my artists friends and I model for each other to help us in our drawing of faces. Anthony (pronounced “Ant – ton- ee”) was the latest sitter. Here you will see my finished drawing in charcoal, as well as steps in the process.



It should be apparent that after my initial drawing on the Roma paper, my shapes are wrong. I try to correct them in the outline stage because it is much easier to move a line than an area of tone. But once I have my tonal drawing, my errors become more evident.
In this case, I felt that I had a decent likeness in line, but once I filled in the shapes with carboncino, I lost something. But redrawing is an intellectual pleasure!

I hope you enjoy this portrait. This one took me about 6 hours to accomplish, for those interested in such things. Of course, this does not take into account how much training I have been doing to be able to create a drawing! One foot in front of the other . . .

2 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Beautiful, Kelly. Such dedication and inspiration. I'm so lazy.....

Anonymous said...

aw, we are our own worst critics but we learn more by each extra step we take. in your case i think your not stepping your running. your inspiring and you make me want to work harder which is always a good thing...Rodney