Friday, November 2, 2007

Pencil Drawing - Seated Female Model




On the 24th of October, I did a pencil drawing of a new model, Eugenia. I have been interested in doing drawings on dark paper with the light shapes being prominent. But I only had a grey paper with me. I began the 1.5-hour session by sketching the figure in with a pencil. But I ended up liking the drawing and only added a wee bit of white pencil to try to round out the form. I am pleased with this figure drawing, especially because of the relatively short duration of the pose.

While I am working to improve my seeing of shapes accurately and this means a study of classical proportion and realism, I am not sure how far I will take this. What I really enjoy about the process of drawing that I am learning now is that I can leave some elements of a work of art only implied, such as the chair and hands. There is enough of a chair drawn there so that a floating figure does not confuse the viewer’s brain and the gesture is visible without all of the details in this pencil drawing.

She is 23 centimeters tall – from foot to head. Signed and dated. If interested in this drawing, you may add her to your collection for only $50 (US) plus $15 shipping from Italy to anywhere in the world. Just send me an e-mail!

2 comments:

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Thanks to an American collector, who wishes to remain anonymous, this drawing will be framed and given to the model who posed for this drawing. He said that he wanted to help me keep learning what I am learning while I am working in Italy.
It is extremely humbling and touching to me to have such support for what I am trying to accomplish. Few things worth doing in life can be done alone. Thank you. Kelly

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

See the follow-up to this story about an American private donor sharing art with an Italian model:
Click here
http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com/2008/01/anonymous-patron-of-arts.html