Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Pigeons On Art



Ha! That title was not intended to mean that those birds have become art critics! Funny re-read on my part.

I started to photograph various themes during my several trips to Italia, including the humbling (to a sculptor) "Birds on Art" series.
Specifically, pigeons landing on sculptures. In truth, I am not sure which is worse -- the birds hanging out all over the
art (and I sometimes mean ALL over) or the spikes and other ugly dangerous additions some sculpture conservators put on
the tops of artworks and architecture.

The top image was taken in Piazza Signoria, near the famous Uffizi gallery. The other two images of bronze copies of the wonderful Michelangelo's stone sculptures are seen by 'molti touristi' at the
artist-named Piazzale Michelangelo, which overlooks the city of Florence. Seriously, what is it like to get no respect?
I think we can all relate at some point in our lives.

Why people insist on feeding pigeons is beyond me. Yes, they are pretty birds. But disease carriers too, not to mention that
they are rather large, so waste in large masses is abundant. John and I had a neighbor in Texas many years ago who said that
cities would call him to come get rid of their pigeon population. Apparently in Austin, Texas, when pigeons gathered on rooftops
and did what we all do, their poo eventually turned to dust and was blown all over the city. A different kind of smog.
And our neighbor joked (I hope it was) that he sold these pigeons to gourmet restaurants in the Northeast USA.

Here in Florence (Firenze is its real name), Italy, a law was passed last time I was here: a 50 € (euro) fine to anyone
caught feeding a pigeon। So stay healthy -- and rich. ciao, ciao.

No comments: