Thursday, November 19, 2009

Faith Schexmayder Flatfork Studio

Faith Schexmayder Flatfork Studio

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

I was attempting to have only one blog post to show you the wide variety of art that is in the building that I am exhibiting in during East Austin Studio Tour (E.A.S.T.). However, my new friend Faith Schexmayder is doing something too cool to have only one photo about. Faith is the artist behind Flatfork Studio and is a staple (read also landlady) at 1406 Smith Road in Austin, Texas.

Faith created mosaic quilts among other sculptures. I am including some images I asked her if I could take of her display during E.A.S.T. In an effort to simplify a rather involved process, let me sum it up by saying that she starts her sculptures with an armature of foam, sometimes supported with metal (see the dog later). She has to cut the foam much smaller to account for the thickness of the materials she will add to the art.

Then she starts to apply the cement and mosaic tile pieces. When satisfied, she will then grout the mosaic. So, this constructed quilt on a bench that you see here is truly a unique work of art!








Faith also created this whirling composition in paintbrushes. There are uses for almost anything in the hands of a fertile imagination!

Come check out the art of Faith Schexmayder this weekend, Saturday and Sunday, from 10 am to 5 pm both days. And say hello to me too, I will be up near the front of Faith’s building. And artists – she is renting additional spaces to more cool people.

E.A.S.T. - East Austin Studio Tour (Texas)
1406 Smith Road, Suite E
Austin, Texas 78721
Tel. 512.389.5000
Web site: www.eastaustinstudiotour.com

No comments: