Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Other President George

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

In a previous post, I began to introduce you to my almost finished stone carving “The Offering.” I told you how the idea was born based on then-President George W. Bush’s response to the killings on September 11, 2001.

I cannot believe that I did not take a better image at the right stage of carving the stone for this next bit of information. But my husband John nicknamed this sculpture “George” after our first President, George Washington, because of the way I blocked out the skull and mostly the hair. I was still new at carving marble back in 2002 when this image was taken and being cautious is quite important since I do not get to put the stone back if I remove too much.


These next two images show my progress on “George” in February of 2003. Unfortunately, “George” did not get any more physical attention until after I began work on another figurative carving, “Stargazer.” “Stargazer” took me two years to complete. It may sound stupid but I tend to get intimidated by my vision of what I want and my lack of belief that I can create it. When this happens, I set aside the work I fear I will ruin and go work on another project that will improve the skill I feel I am lacking.

In any event, I could not forget George and drew on the stone and carved occasionally for a month or so in each year of 2005, 2006, and 2007. Next time, I will show you images from George’s progress in August of 2008.

If you like what you read, enjoy the photos, and would like to help support this blog(ger) / artist, click here . . .





1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

You are funny. It is neat to see the progression and nice that you can work on this again.