Saturday, December 22, 2007

Zhi Tea in Austin Texas



Ok, I am (rarely ;) embarrassed to admit how little I know about . . . well, a lot in life. But somehow living in Italia is helping me become more aware of the joys of consuming – food and drink to be exact. Imagine my joy recently when I met Candice Oneida and Jeffrey Lorien. They have started a company called Zhi Tea. Why? Because, as Jeffrey explained to me, “We just love tea.”

I met these two through the event that Keith Hogan hosted last Wednesday in Austin, Texas. And while we were all busy showing off our various loves to all of the guests, I had a few chances throughout the night to speak to Jeffrey to learn more about their business and about tea. Their story started in Seattle, moved to New York, and their international business is based in Austin.

While I still want more information – and more tasting, I did get to learn that Zhi offers delicious organic teas and a healthy way of doing business. Jeffrey also explained to me a little bit about the “Fair Trade” program with which they are involved. Basically, 80% of revenues paid for teas (and other products) goes back to the actual people who grow the food. It allows these communities to make their lives better in ways that they choose. Read more on their site, search in the Articles section.

Pictured here are the owners of Zhi, Candice and Jeffrey next to some of their sample yummy teas (with my small bronze “Eric” in the background). The other image shows some of my newest friends Sue and life coach Rebecca Burgman with Barry Woltag. I did a stone restoration for Barry last summer. It was good to see him again.

And to continue to name drop, other friends I got to say hello to on Wednesday include Betty Gerald, Donna Wetegrove of Tips on Art, “my kid” Rudy Sanchez (who helped me setup my exhibit), Joe and Chris Kenney, Rodney and Donna Bohl, Jane Parsons and Carl Nelson (both of whom brought me Christmas gifts!), and Willy and Billie Gunther.

Zhi Tea:
www.ZhiTea.com

Barry Woltag’s stone restoration by Kelly Borsheim:
http://www.borsheimarts.com/news/2006_08.htm

No comments: