Thursday, September 13, 2007

Madonnara - Street Painting


So on 12 Settembre, I just tried my hand at becoming a 'madonnara' -- a street painter in central Firenze (Florence). This being my first time, I thought it would be funny to depict a virgin. No, seriously, I was trying to find something a little different from what I had seen here, but that would appeal to my audience. My friend Mark Cummings (San Francisco) told me that 'madonnas go over BIG in Italia.'
Allora, I had bought many pastels and a few other supplies while in Texas, thinking it would be more cost effective. I had wanted to try this during my last visit to Firenze, but . . .
Anyway, I chose the "Blue Madonna" an oil painting by Carlo Dolci that I had seen at the Ringling Museum of Art in Sarasota, Florida. Such a beautiful work and love those blues!
I am attaching an image that a tourista took of me while working. In one day (I started about 11 am) I tried working in this new media for me, in color, and on a street! What a canvas.
I finished as much as I wanted to a bit earlier than I thought I would, but I stayed working until almost midnight. There were many visitors throughout the day and evening. Most were very complimentary and many were impressed to learn that I have not done this before. Although I definitely wore more pastel than other artists do! Colorful dust everywhere and at the end of the night, I wash the entire artwork away to make it known to the street cleaners in the morning that a new artist will start in my square that next day.

I will also be trying again next Wednesday, so if you find yourself in Firenze soon, check it out! I am working near Piazza della Repubblica -- closer to the Straw Market.
Ciao, and thank you for reading.

4 comments:

Amber said...

Fantastic! I love the image - yours, as well as the one of you. High five!

Eyecon Artist said...

Mdm Kelly... so amazing that you are back in Italy... street-painting! When I saw that image, I assumed you were working on pastel paper, and that one of your fans might have a chance to buy your lovely blue Madonna. What a beautiful sacrifice to spend a whole day on an image that gets washed away the same evening. I'm sure many people enjoyed seeing you work, though. An experience to remember... and a wonderful photo to memorialize the event. I love the fact that you are wearing blue (or is that all the pastel dust on you? ;-)

thanks for keeping us up to date on your Italian memoirs. May your bag find you soon!

CREATIVEGoddess said...

So cool! What a neat title to put on one's resume!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!! Both you and the painting. Great job!