Saturday, October 19, 2013

Inlaid Wood Mosaic Siena Duomo Cathedral Italy



Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

Today’s posting about the inside of the amazing Duomo of Siena, Italy, features the inlaid wood that is in the furniture surrounding the stage.  I cannot get over how much Italy has changed my idea of mosaics!  These carved “pictures” in wood (and also in stone mosaic art) fill me with awe, especially when the design utilizes the natural patterns in each unique piece of material to naturally shade or add a detail to the overall design.  Not all mosaics have this extra touch, but when they do, one feels the love and passion of the artist.


Here, in Siena, the combination of architecture, with bas relief (compressed form, like a coin) sculpture, 3-dimensional sculpture, fresco, and function blow the mind.  And how do you like the rabbit?

PS  I believe that Blogger.com has been having problems with sending out my latest blog posts to subscribers.  If you receive this in your e-mail box, would you please respond to let me know?  I need feedback to send to blogger to correct any problems.  Also, if you are a blogger yourself and have recommendations on the technical side of things, I am considering moving my blog to my own site, if I can find the time to set it all up. Thank you.






















If you find yourself in Tuscany before 26 October 2013, I hope you will go see the temporary unveiling of the highly decorative stone floor of the Duomo (Cathedral) in Siena. http://www.operaduomo.siena.it/
More of the Divina Bellezza or “Divine Beauty”exhibition and the Duomo in Siena in the next post.

If you would like more information about Siena and its gorgeous Duomo, check out these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siena_Cathedral


+++++
Did you know that my blog is searchable?   Just visit the main page:
http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com
and see the search term entry box just below the subscription section. 
Happy searching and if there is a topic you would enjoy my writing about, please let me know what it is.  Thank you for reading! 
+++++

Feeling generous?  If you would like to donate any amount to support this blog, you may do so via PayPal. Please visit the blog online and see the PayPal links in the column on the right:
http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com
Thank you for your interest and support.
Saluti,
Kelly

No comments: