Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tabernacoli Fiorentini Italy



Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

The other night some friends and I went to Hemingway’s in central Florence, near the Chiesa (Church) di Santa Maria del Carmine. It is known as one of the better chocolate places around. I thought I would indulge, but instead of chocolate, I got a mascarpone con fruitti di bosco (cheese and berry) crepe.

Afterwards on my way home, I again photographed one of the more attractive shrines one finds around bella Italia. I have been photographing the tabernacoli fiorentini for a few years now. I am not sure why I find them fascinating, but I suspect it is because there are so many and sometimes in unusual places that it makes me envision people just stopping in their tracks to pray.

The one I show you today is more elaborate than most because it has the double images. The painted terra-cotta bas relief of madonna and child was especially beautiful this night because of the fresh flowers someone had added. There was a sign there that listed the title and date (XIX for “Gesu’ Coronato di Spine), but my blurred photo in the night was too blurry for me to determine whether the artists’ names were included.

This tabernacle was restored in 1995 and apparently is still much beloved.

For more information, check out sites such as this one on tabernacoli fiorentini




4 comments:

Andrew said...

That crepe looks yummy!

Anonymous said...

Great photos!
The crepe lady is beautiful too.
Thanks for sharing an evening in Florence.
Gene

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

grazie mille! The crepe was yummy, but tons of dolci. perhaps not the most healthy of dishes for dinner. Cost was 10 euro, no (or included) coperto (cover charge for sitting in most restaurants).

Still, my French friend and I agreed that these were worth the price over the street vended crepes in Paris.

Laura Grimes said...

Che bello tabernacolo!