Friday, February 20, 2009

Memories of Venice Original Art

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

One of the things I came to Italy to improve is my ability to add an environment to a figure in art. When I began drawing this lovely standing pose with my friend and model Valentina, I had no idea of where I was going. I mean, as far as what other shapes would surround her.

I know that people often call the style of art that I create “photo realism” but that is not the mentality I have when I approach my work. And thus, while I was designing the shape of the shadow the model cast on the floor, I created a wave.

This water theme stuck with me throughout the 5-week pose and what was in reality a slanted easel supporting the model’s hand became a famous and distinctive Venetian canal pole. And because one element does not a story make, I began to try other symbols of Venice to create a pleasing composition that did not take away from the figure.


Determining the composition has been a slow process for me. I drew the model in the late spring of 2008. I am not a faster producer, but also I tried many things that just did not work for me. Everything I arranged seemed like “too much information.” I played around with various shapes and sizes, until things felt comfortably pleasing to my eye.

There is an obvious diagonal going across the image plane, but I wanted something more to slow down the gaze. I wanted to move the viewer’s eye from the gondolas up through the cathedral to the model’s right hand and then face before traveling back down the left arm and then to the hand. For me, this was another nautilus shell composition. Apparently, I feel pretty at peace with shapes from the sea.

“Memories of Venice” will be part of my 3-week solo exhibit here in Florence, Italy, starting on 16 April. However, I have no problems exhibiting a sold piece, so if you know someone who would love to own this original drawing, please give him or her my contact information!

“Memories of Venice” is an original drawing in various materials (mostly charcoal) on Umbria brand paper. She measures 69 x 49 cm (27" x 19.5").




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great piece of artwork and perfect narrative.
I hope for you it sells quickly.
I'd love to have it, but my economics wont allow.
Congrats on the Exhibition.
You are on a great flow-path.
Thank Kelly,
Gene P.