Thursday, January 22, 2009

Lost and Stolen Florence Italy

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

Bike theft is big business in Florence, Italy. Still, last night while I attended a free concert by Luca Carboni at Librerie [bookstore] Feltrinelli on Via dei Cerretani, between the Duomo and the stazione, I hardly expected the seat of my bike to be stolen!

I always use two locks on my bike -- one for each tire, with at least one connected to something fixed to the ground. (A guy I know who used to steal bikes even gave me advice on which kind of locks to buy.) I had removed the bell since I am not the type to use it, but it never occurred to me to get a lock to secure the seat somehow. I am really frosted, especially since this bicycle belongs to my friend Hafiza. And it is a cherry, classic bike!

Other things have been stolen, such as a pair of gloves I left on the windowsill outside my ground floor room as I was locking up my bicycle. But in truth, I have received more than what was stolen from me, so I was able to let it go. But also, those items belonged to me so only I experienced the loss.

Allora, to contradict these little evil acts, I leave you with something more positive. Some time ago I had started to photograph the small, but kind things that strangers do for one another. This series is about Found Objects (often gloves, keys, and other personal items) that people place closer to eye level in the hopes the owner will retrace his steps and find the item up off of the dirty streets of Florence. Enjoy. And may “my” bicycle seat find a better bum.










1 comment:

Jo Castillo said...

I told Gene, "Kelly had her bicycle seat stolen."

"I'll give her one of mine," he says.

"She's in Italy," I say.

"Oh, right," says Gene.

Hope you find it on the window sill somewhere. Bummer! (No pun intended.)

Otherwise hope all is fine.