Friday, January 16, 2009

Light Emerging from Darkness

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

Today’s images show you a portrait drawing I created on 22 October 2008 of a male model named Michael. He was a new model for my Open Studio here in Florence, Italy – an American hoping to fund his trip abroad – and was not sure he could pose nude for two hours. However, he held beautifully a standing pose not unlike Rodin’s “Balzac” sculpture.

It was a nice symmetrical pose with this active twist to the neck and many artists drew it well. I, however, had my black paper in hand and was anxious to try out my first white chalk on black paper drawing. So here he is. The original drawing “Michael” is pictured here on the small table I have in my room to work.

You can see that I have on the table some charcoal drawing materials, as well as a few paint supplies in this tiny space. Some days I get fixated on one project and other days, I change throughout the day. That decision is made based on what is going on with any given artwork. And also what mood I am in. For example, if I am refining details (vs. making design decisions), I may find the task meditative or simply dull. One feeling allows me to continue, while the latter entices me to reward myself after a time by working on another project.

I am including here a particolare (Italian for ‘detail image’) of my portrait drawing of Michael. While people seem interested to know that I only had two hours with this model, it takes years of training to draw something as complicated as a face in such a short period of time. I have been trying to push myself to make every mark count – a type of minimalism or better -- efficiency -- that I believe lends more of an awe-appeal to art.

And I was interested in including some of the light on the neck and collarbone as compositional devices, as well as to imply a gesture for the whole figure. I hope you enjoy this artwork.

“Sketch of Michael 2008”
original portrait drawing
by Kelly Borsheim
black textured Mi-Teintes paper
with white pastels
16 x 12 inches
$90 + $20 shipping (anywhere)











And do not forget my Portrait Sale this month to celebrate my eight years of creating art full-time. Let me work from your photos or from life! Contact me for details (just respond to this blog or visit my site).

You may choose:
Half life-size or smaller in pencil: $300 per head/person
Life-size (approx.) in charcoal: $500 per head/person
Life-size oil painting – monochromatic (sepia): $700 per head/person
If you prefer color, a life-size pastel drawing: $600 per head/person, life-size
Plus, FREE SHIPPING from Florence, Italy.

Please let me know if this is a gift or if you are having another deadline (such as an anniversary party or wedding) so that I can make sure you receive your original art on time. And of course, if you are here in Florence, Italy, I would love to make a drawing of you from life.

Thank you for your continued interest and support.

No comments: