Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Charcoal Drawing of Nude Female Figure Florence Italy


Cari Amici,

It is difficult to prepare for a long trip and finish several drawings and also look for a place to live once I return to Italia in September, but that is what I have been doing. Not to add how much time I am spending visiting with old and new friends before I go.

But this morning, I had time to photograph a couple of my latest projects. Here I show you “Ilaria”. She is a carboncino (charcoal) drawing of a beautiful woman from north Italia. She is approximately 67 x 46 cm and was drawn on the paper called Umbria. Naturally, this drawing of a nude feminine figure is available. Please inquire.

Often I like high contrast and want to place the most dramatic lighting where I want your eye to go first. So, for example, a bright shoulder might have a dark, dark background against it. This project was different as I tried to play with the effect of light emerging from dark and thus, the background behind the figure in shadow is closer in tone to the actual female figure. I think that the photo is too light probably when seen on your screen. I would enjoy having feedback on this.

Anyway, the real Ilaria was such a sport to endure this pose for five weeks, three hours per afternoon. Knees being bent in this way make for bad circulation. We got into a little routine of sorts in which I would bring her a small gift, such as a chocolate bar or an apple, or one day, her favorite torta “La Cubana” from my trip to northeast Italia, so that she could have a sugar energy boost. “La Cubana” is a specialty of this region and Ilaria told me it is often served with grappa (although I photographed it here with a dark beer that I tried and liked).


And she surprised me one day by bringing me some fresh picked lavender from her yard in Tuscany, outside of Florence. I was delighted and shared some with my friend Hélène, who has a charming way of leaning forward as her eyes widen and her smile brightens when she wants a little of something you have before her. Afterwards, I taped the lavender to my easel and enjoyed its distinctive fragrance while Ilaria and I worked on this artwork. I hope you enjoy this figurative charcoal drawing.

PS Do not forget the art classes that I am teaching in Texas this summer. I hope to see you!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

amazing drawing. 5 weeks! wow!