Monday, March 31, 2008

Street Art, Griff Parish and Florence

Cari Amici,
Today was the last day that the madonnari were allowed to create chalk drawings on the streets in Florence. The Comune di Firenze changed the Street Art law in January and raised our permit fees by a rather serious percentage. And as of the prima di Aprile, there will be no more madonnari making disegni in Firenze. No foolin’.

We madonnari have been demonstrating in our three drawing spaces on Via Calimala and also in the famous Piazza della Signoria off and on since December, and it always seems surprising to locals and tourists alike that we pay to draw. Some people seem to think that tips are not necessary (even when they photo and videotape us) because they assume that the city of Florence pays us to entertain them.

Although I caught a cold a couple of days ago (probably should have avoided the “wet head outside” situation), I thought that I should join Claudio, Tomo, Giovanni, Laura, Giuseppe, Miho, Hwaja, Hisayuki, and others in a joint drawing project on paper taped to the street.

I arrived just before they all left for il pranzo (lunch). I asked Claudio what I should do while they were gone and he asked me to fix a specific face on the copy of a Botticelli that the group had started some time ago. It is a bit weird to work on someone else’s drawing like this – somehow different than when I am teaching (although even then, I try to be sensitive to the student’s desires in this area). I had no idea who the original madonnaro was and I hoped that he would not return while I was in-process.

In this image above, you can see how much more contrasty my work is from the other artists. (The face I reworked is the one on the far right.) Hmmmm. I can also see the places in which I need more tone changes and blending, as well as color temperature issues in the hair. Beside this edge of the drawing, you may also see the petition in which we have been collecting signatures and Claudio’s signage today explaining something of our plight.

Returning from lunch, Claudio brought me another “Paradise” It comes in a small plastic shot glass and often a cute little take-out tray with holes in it. Claudio often treats the other artists to this refresher. It is the crème of some kind of citrone fruit, plus some kicking alcohol. Some days the crème seems almost like pudding. I usually do not drink on the job (not because I have a creative issue when toasted, but because I am a klutz and tend to spill things), but some days, it is worth making an exception. We topped that off with a couple of glasses of red wine a little bit later. In the image above, you can see Claudio broadcasting that today is our last day and we could use the signatures of the people.

One admirer of the artworks turned out to be an American musician from La Grange, Georgia. His name is Griff Parish and he tipped me with a copy of his yet-to-be-released (25 April) CD titled “to dream of winged things.” We had a fun conversation and Tomo took this image of us on my battery-challenged camera today. Griff is enjoying Florence, but is headed to Roma soon: He is singing with a chorus group (I believe he said) at the Vatican this Sunday! Seems to be my week to meet young musicians.

Click here to learn more about Griff Parish and his music

Adesso, ho un raffreddore e non sento bene. (Now, I have a cold and I do not feel well.) Giuseppe told me before I left that to cure a cold, I should drink before bed: il vino rosso con (red wine with) cannella, chiodo di garofano, e la buccia d’arancia (cinnamon, clove, and orange peel). I assume warmed.
Oh – Italy turned its clocks forward late last night for Daylight Savings Time. Kinda threw me for a loop today. But then, I was looped already.
Ciao, ciao,
Kelly

2 comments:

Amber said...

That's too bad about the new law. Perhaps after they see it's negative effect, they'll change it back. One could dream, anyway.

Hope you received the signature count you needed! Did you?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Amber. Claudio Sgobino is the organizer of the Madonnari. He has a meeting with the Comune di Firenze tomorrow afternoon. Tomo explained to me that the problem is that we have three spaces and the Comune wishes to grant the permits to three individuals, the way that they do for the caricature artists. But we are more like performance artists, in that we are not selling a product. And no one wants to draw in the street EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR!!! Physically exhausting. Since Claudio shoulders all of the hassle of organizing 20-30 artists work schedules, I do not see why the government should care -- as long as the permit fees are paid on time. The hike in the fees, though, was proportionately huge. I hope they can renogiate that as well. Fingers crossed!