Saturday, January 5, 2008

Savonarola and Florence Italy




“Is there any doubt” (sorry, family joke, ha ha Dad) why a sculptor would be drawn to Florence, Italy? I hope you enjoy this second posted batch of images that I took on the evening of 4 Gennaio 2008 in Piazza della Signoria. What a beautiful piazza, this one where Frà Girolamo Savonarola was burned! Savonarola preached against “moral corruption” during the Italian Renaissance. He was executed on the very spot that his Bonfire of the Vanities was lit. The location is marked in Piazza della Signoria and it is odd to watch so many tourists step over the spot, seemingly unaware of its historical significance.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never met your friends in Italy and already I don't like them. They get to see all this wonderous
art with you and I don't, poor me...Rodney
haha just kidding friends

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Hi Rodney,
Thank you, but if it is any consolation at all, I was alone when I shot these images. Except for the policeman who told me I was not permitted to use my tripod inside the loggia, although I was allowed to try to shoot good images there! Thank you for reading.
Kelly