Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Florence Italy

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

The other night my friend Rita and I took a giro (tour) around her neighborhood in central Florence, Italy. We started out viewing an art exhibit in a cute little shop on Via Cavour. While I thought the art looked a little too much like psychedelic stains on fabric, some blood-colored at that, which turned me off, I was amused at the architecture. No two spaces are ever alike here in Florence, but I have seen a few of these “Stairways to Nowhere” like this one I share with you here.
Perhaps these are food storage areas? Non lo so.

We passed the famous Medicee Chapel which houses some Michelangelo sculptures close enough to touch (and is where he hid in the basement when the Medicees were under attack). And Rita and I walked down Via Faenza. This street was under construction for a while as the stones in the road were replaced.

It is quite comfortably smooth now, with no change in height for a sidewalk. I share with you here an image I took of a hotel hallway and a restaurant window. You can see that many restaurants in Italy put tables and chairs out in the streets when the weather is kind. And you can see this new street is still patterned after the old.

Always seeking patterns of shadow and light, I took this next image on our way home, again not too far from the Cappelle Medicee and Mercato Centrale. This square is called Piazze di Madonna Degli Aldobrandini and I love the cast shadows!


And finally, I leave you with a glimpse of a charcoal drawing I have been trying to finish. I have been having some fun and confusion as I figure out how to create compositions that work for me.

No comments: