Sunday, July 20, 2008

Dana Davis AKA WyrdGrl Austin Texas

Cari Amici,

John and I went into Austin last night to see my friend Dana Davis aka WyrdGrl play. I have known Dana as a lovely and inspiring model for my painting and sculpture, but I had never heard her play and sing before. Her show was a blend of original songs, and a few covers. John is a fan of Heart and we enjoyed her covers of that band, Stevie Nicks, and others.

WyrdGrl is quite the charming hostess and it is obvious that she enjoys playing her guitar or keyboards and singing for interested parties. We had an intimate crowd last night at Café Caffeine at 909 West Mary St Austin, Texas, in the oh-so-hip 78704 zip zone. We had a light and healthy dinner there and I was able to reacquaint myself with the delicious Zhi Tea. And everyone loved the low lighting, which helped me (at least) lose all sense of the hot summer and the early hour.

Dana was joined onstage by Krystal on percussion and for a little while a woman named Linda, who sang and played the flute. I like these sorts of concerts – feels like home when people enter and exit the stage for a few songs and when Dana gave personal updates on stories to friends in the audience.

Outside on the deck after the show, I told Linda that I was so pleased to see a flute player since I have had desires to bring my own flute to Italia with me and start to play again, but never did. Linda advised, “Just put it together and leave it out. You will pick it up and play it.” But my problem is that I do not play by ear. Some years ago, I bought some sheet music for Jethro Tull, but I just have not had the time . . . And I have a difficult time finding sheet music for flute, especially since I love the lower ranges and not the trill-y stuff so much.


The feel in the café last night was so very Austin. There was the definite presence of individual creative souls and the feel of casual acceptance of all. For example, our sentry was a man with long wavy yellowish-white hair snoozing in a chair outside by the door. Senza uniform, he was wearing a fully staffed brassiere under a University-of-Texas orange T-shirt and a black thong with naked legs supported probably by Birkenstocks. These are the kinds of things I miss most about Austin . . .

Check out Dana’s sites:
www.wyrdgrl.com
www.myspace.com/wyrdgrld

And Café Caffeine:
www.cafecaffeine.com

1 comment:

FranHB said...

Kels, for a minute, I thought that was YOU playing the flute in that photo! Wow, good memories when I think of that; didn't realize it then, but they really were the "Best of Times" - Hugs to you