Saturday, October 26, 2013

Wear and Tear After Centuries



Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

This is my final posting on the unveiled floor in the Duomo of Siena, Italy.  I hope that you have enjoyed this series.  The art has been well taken care of and one can understand how even a material as durable as stone is still a “living material” and therefore vulnerable.  For all of the millions of feet that have trodden over her surfaces over the centuries, she is still amazingly beautiful.  I took these images purposefully seeking the glare of the window light to help you see the cracks and broken parts of the stone mosaic floors.  I often find beauty in decay or destruction (as I did when I washed my street paintings away each night as the water ran over the pastels), but realistically, there will always be the debate between conservation and enjoyment.  However, this summer and fall, many enjoyed seeing what beauty humans can create while they share their stories in stone.  

Thank you for following along with me . . .
~ Kelly








Today is the last open day for the unveiled floor in the Cathedral in Siena, Tuscany. I hope you can see the temporary unveiling of the highly decorative stone floor of the Duomo (Cathedral) in Siena. http://www.operaduomo.siena.it/
If you would like more information about Siena and its gorgeous Duomo, check out these links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siena_Cathedral
+++++

Feeling generous?  If you would like to donate any amount to support this blog, you may do so via PayPal. Please visit the blog online and see the PayPal links in the column on the right:
http://artbyborsheim.blogspot.com
Thank you for your interest and support.
Saluti,
Kelly

No comments: