Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Parade in Florence, Italy


Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

The Friday night before (September 26), Giovanni (another madonnaro [street painter] – from Brasil) and I left up little cardboard tents in an attempt to persuade the street cleaner in Florence, Italy, not to drive over our street art. Did not work, or maybe it did. I only had one large tire print over my face of a sibyl of Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel.

So, Saturday’s work was not so bad. I just added more pastels and tried to feminize the face once more. And then I added hair and background.


I knew that my friend Martinho, a bandieri (flag waver), was performing on this day, but I had no idea that the parade would pass right by me on Via Calimala! How exciting this was, even if I did not get to see their performances in Piazza della Repubblica or the Duomo or in Piazza della Signoria. Gotta love the costumes and men in tights ;-)

By the time I finished in the night, I was exhausted. I had street painted Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. And I was scheduled for Monday again.
I finished out the composition in the street and even added the subtle cracks that now appear on the original fresco of the Sistine Chapel. How could Michelangelo have anticipated such beautiful wreckage?

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

My comment is like a broken record. Amazing work! Thanks for keeping us posted.

Anonymous said...

Bravo, vraiment un travail inimaginable, je suis époustoufflé.
Sincére admiration

Cordialement
Jacques

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Michelangelo is smiling down on you in appreciation of your work.
Keep doin it.
I second the 'Bravo'.
Gene P.