Friday, July 18, 2008

Bas Relief Portrait Sculpture

Cari Amici,

My husband John gave me an early birthday present today. It was a hard drive and a laptop fan. I have needed to archive all of my images and important data, other than on CDs, which I have been using. My laptop is completely full and I have lots of organizing and editing to do. I am definitely an image junky.

One of the projects that I am working on is to create a series of giclée prints from my photographs from Italia. Many of you have been so complimentary of images that you see on my blog and on my site and it is time I made some of those available. But wading through TONS of images has been an intimidating task, to say the least. If you have a request for images you have seen or wonder if I have shot, but not posted online, please contact me soon.

I am only in Texas for less than two months and I want to make sure that I have time to see the tests and even final prints of my images before letting anything out of my studio. And so, I juggle my time between photography and sculpture these days.


In the meantime, the backing-up process led me to re-find this little gem of a bas-relief (“flat” sculpture, like a coin, or what I used to refer to as “puffy painting”). I had attended a short lecture on bas-relief sculpture back on 19 March 2003. During that day, we each took about one hour to try to create our first relief sculpture by doing a portrait of the artist sitting next to us. This was an interesting experience as each of our models was also an artist creating her other neighbor’s portrait!

My sculpture is of Austin, Texas-based sculptor Eloiese Krabbenhoft. After I took this photo, I had to destroy my artwork and return the clay to the speaker. I was bummed actually, but it was a fun exercise and I managed to get a decent likeness too! Thank goodness I had a camera with me.

I hope you enjoy the full moon!

2 comments:

Josa said...

That DOES look just like my sister!! You did a great job....too bad you had to destroy it. I would have LOVED to have it.
Eloiese's sister,
JOEY

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Thank you so much! Yes, I should have thought to ask the sculptor if I could have bought that plastilina. The fish that got away . . .

grazie mille