Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Street Painting Madonnari - Florence, Italy


Cari Amici,

Just when I start to believe that street painting is a horrible way to help earn my living while in Florence, Italy, something charming happens while I am working. Yesterday, Monday (Memorial Day in the States, it turned out), I chose to re-create a “Madonna And Child” from 1742 by Italian artist Pompeo Batoni.



I spoke with many wonderful visitors and Florentines, and was amused when one man asked me, “If you are American, then why don’t you speak with me in English?” I responded, “Because you addressed me in Italian and also because I would like to improve my Italian language skills.”

Anyway, my friend Ernesto Brosa took these images of two charming girls who hung out with my street painting and me for a while. The first girl really enjoyed getting dirty as she colored-in the darks of the Madonna’s hand. I was happy that I still had some wet towels to help her clean up a bit afterwards. Her mother and brother watched the whole procedure. She was really cute.



The other girl was enjoying her gelato too much to want to get her hands dirty. She is from Leningrad and is perhaps another budding artist.

Unfortunately, I had forgotten to recharge the batteria on my camera and it ran out of juice during Ernesto’s shooting. And so, if you happened to have been a tourist on this evening and took an image or two of my work that night, please send a copy to me. I have no images of the work before I washed her away around mezzanotte.

Grazie mille, for your interest and support.
Ciao, ciao,
Kelly

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey girl, you have the gift of influencing children and thats a very sweet thing. you go girl...Rodney

Richard Womack said...

NICE,Recharge your batteries,and cheers with a glass of wine!

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Thanks, guys. Yes, I should have known that after the weekend's mostra (exhibit) that I should have recharged the camera.

And lately, I seem to prefer the Vin Santo (with or without the Cantuccini (biscotti that is dipped into the liquor).

Tomorrow I have a permit to street paint again, but it looks like MOLTO rain!
a presto!

Gene P. said...

Nice work Kelly !
The alive flesh tones convert sidewalk cement to Masterwalk Art.
I hope you got many compliments on your Masterwalk and on your own beauty as well. Also, your shirt color is perfect with your work.
Maybe I'm not too old to learn a new trick, cause I figured out how to do this 'blog comment thing'.
Gene P.

Theresa Taylor Bayer said...

Wonderful blog, Kelly! I couldn't do that madonanari stuff, that would kill my back, is that the dangerous position?
Anyways you're kicking some serious art butt.

Jo Castillo said...

Wow, Kelly! Beautiful painting and it looks like you had a great time. I can't imagine working so hard and washing it off! Although, I wipe off paintings and do new ones on pastel paper and board. Good practice, I suppose. And if you make a little money, even better.

Thinking of you. Take care.

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Thank you again!
Ciao, Gene (or the Polish Chaio), I am glad that you figured out the comment procedure. And yes, I am looking for a drawing that I can allow you to add to your art collexion.

Theresa, you are so supportive! You and my other super sweet friends thoughtfully understood that the comment about my dangerous position was referring to my health. But it was clearly a sexual reference to my bum being in the air while I was on all fours. I think I am not the only one without a filter in my brain! lol

And Jo, thank you. I do not feel so bad washing the drawing away because I am usually so tired that what I want most is a massage and sleep. Also, it is a copy of someone else's work. So . . . and yes, the work is more physical than I imagined, especially for the neck. I cannot tell if my knees are getting stronger or just more sore. But when it is a good day, it can be really fun.