Thursday, March 27, 2008

Cantante Couch Surfing and La Dolci Vita

Cari Amici,
Today in Florence, I met an 18-year-old Miriam Léah. I spent an enjoyable day with friends today. First, I met Hélène and Kieran at the Museo Nazionale del Bargello. From there we made our way to il Museo dell’Opificio delle Pietre Dure, since it is free museum week and all. I hope to write about those experiences tomorrow.

During this time, my friend Simone, a Florentine, called and invited me to see a free classical music (organ) concert. So, the four of us arranged to meet in front of the fake David (yes, Michelangelo’s David) in Piazza della Signoria at 20:30. Only, while I was out and about in centro, I visited my madonnari friends on Via Calimala. Abdu, who is part of the couch-surfing network, told me about his most amazing and current couch surfer: Miriam Léah.

Abdu invited me to come to see her sing in the Uffizi corridor nearby. I texted the others to meet there at 20:00 tonight instead of 20:30. Well, it was raining and everyone was late. But Miriam arrived with my friend James and I heard her ever so briefly before I saw her. I called out to them and introduced myself. They climbed up over the wall into the Loggia and Miriam’s clear and angelic operatic voice filled the entire space and then some! In fact, most of my friends heard her as they entered Piazza della Signoria – and that is a large square! [James used my camera to make a video of her performance tonight, but I am unsure of how to add that here . . . ]

Even the guard on duty told Abdu that normally he is not permitted to allow such activity, but how could he resist a voice such as this? It was fantastic! And the first song I requested was sung in Italian almost directly to me. She is really sweet and beautiful and gifted.



Above, group shot (L-R): Kieran, Hélène, Kelly, Miriam, Abdu, and Joseph. Photo by James.

After we parted, my smaller group of friends went to our concerto. While we stayed for most of it, frankly we were a bit bored with the organ music. After calling it a night (shortly after mezzanotte), I was walking home by way of Via della Condotta. And I heard a wee bit of that distinctive voice. So, I turned towards Piazza della Signoria and yup, Miriam was surrounded by men and singing off and on.

When she saw me, she immediately came up to wrap her arms around my big black coat and rest her head on my chest. So, we all got a few more images and then Abdu needed to get her out of this cold and drizzly weather. (These images were taken by Abdu.)

I do hope to see her again before she leaves Firenze. And I invited them all to see me tomorrow on Via Calimala doing the street painting if the rain would go away. My friend Inga usually draws on Thursday, but she is on holiday and out of town, so I asked to take over her permit for the day. And so, I bid you arrivederci e buona notte.

Miriam Léah’s MySpace page (to hear her singing)

couchsurfing.com: less expensive and more personal than hosteling

No comments: