Monday, February 23, 2009

Florence Academy of Art Exhibit

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

Last evening I attended the art reception for the Florence Academy of Art Fourth Alumni Exhibition. About 70 artists have original artworks on exhibit this week at the Corsini Family Stables in Florence, Italy.


The art was mostly strong and in a beautiful setting. I will share with you some of my favorite pieces in a bit, but I must confess that I was also drawn to people watching. Many artists attend openings, but I could not help wonder if some of the collectors were also part of the “cool” scene. I saw amazing hats, capes, hairstyles, faces, and vivacious conversations happening while the wine was flowing.

The location was fantastic, with guests walking the red carpet, cruising by some working antique cars and a motorcycle. Stone, iron, wood, all we needed were horses and hay!
In the photo with the large angel, I believe that is the art school’s founder Daniel Graves in the beret. I was too shy to go up to meet him. But I did meet a few more artists and models. The guy in the car with me (gutsy – I never would have done that alone!) is a dancer and model from Brazil, who happens to be the boyfriend of a fellow madonnara (street painter) friend of mine who attends Florence Academy. A small world indeed!

See a representation of the works online: www.florenceacademyexhibition.com

What you will not see online are the frames. Some were truly works of art themselves. Many fit the artwork they surrounded perfectly.



Sculptor Lori Shorin’s “Massi” is really expressive in bronze. Lori and I each created sculptures from the same male model during the Christmas holidays. I am pictured here with her during the reception – without wet clay about us! (My clay sculpture is still drying, so you have not seen him yet.)


My favorites (and in no order):
A charcoal drawing that was sold in the private auction before the show opened. The drawing was a study for Toby Wright’s “La Salvatrice,” a 300 cm tall oil painting.

“Portrait of Sarah” a charcoal drawing by Hunter Eddy

For the curvy fence that creates a circular path into the composition, and for the portrayal of the light in darkening clouds, I add to my favorites: Joakim Ericsson’s oil painting “Norwegian Landscape I”


Jura Bedic’s still life painting in oil “Rose Hips” for its tactile qualities and je ne sais qois.

And, of course, I loved the mysterious energy in Hege Elisabeth Haugen’s oil painting “Sonata”


Carlos Madrid’s “Mangoes” surprised me because I do not normally enjoy this kind of composition. Something about the way the fabric was painted and the softness of the fruit seemed perfect for this symmetrical design. Kudos to someone who can make my change my mind! (The image online does not do justice.)


While I am normally creeped-out with the “head on a stick” concept, Carl Martin Sandvold’s “Head of my Father” was very well done.

Cody Swanson’s Larger than Life “Judas” was perfect and moving. Really, Robert Bodem’s Sculpture Department at the Florence Academy is fantastic.


No comments: