Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Street Painting Botticelli Florence Italy



Cari Amici (Dear Friends),
Although the rules of the madonnari say that each artist cannot have assistance in creating their street art, I cannot help offering some chalk to children. I justify Street Painting Botticelli Florence Italy
my “bad behaviour” by telling myself that the kids are not really helping me: they are only playing.

I drew my version of Sandro Botticelli’s The Birth of Venus, but only just the detail of her portrait in chalk. It was a fun day, even though I started it around 11:30 a.m. It was a warm, sunny day and after street painting for several days during this past week, I almost feel asleep in the warm sun hitting the pavement. Not really the look I was going for . . .


And I dedicated my work on the 29th to my nephew Ryan, who celebrated his second birthday that day. I like my effort on this artwork despite the holes in the street changing some tones in the face and ruining her jawline. And if my knees were in better shape, I might have worked more detail into the flowing hair.


Around midnight my friends, singing Miriam and her boyfriend James, joined me and we had a passerby shoot this foto of us goofing off. Just before midnight, I decided to wash away my day’s painting and so, now we see the death of Venus. I had some interesting people hang around the watch the patterns of the water over the chalk drawing. I spoke with a man from Hungary and another from Australia, both fascinated by the whole art process.

Happy belated birthday, Ryan!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Work !
Gene P