Thursday, September 4, 2008

Stone Carving


Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

After teaching a three-day workshop in stone carving, I decided that I really do not have enough time to finish the marble carving that has the nickname "George Washington" before I return to bella Italia. She will have more detail than even my marble sculpture "Stargazer" and thus, I am willing to take the time I need to create the best artwork I can. "George" will have to wait a wee bit longer.

But I tend to have many different projects going on “at once” and so, I am curious to know if I can finish another carving that I started a year or two ago (I think). In my neck of the woods, there has been no evidence of Hurricane Gustav, not even some much-needed rain. But the weather is surprisingly cool – anything less than 100 degrees F seems relatively cool to me.

After carving, I went to help John. Earlier today, I had prepared the stone base for “Against the Dying of the Light” and this evening John drilled the holes in it for securing the bronze figure. The center hole supports the bronze, while the two smaller holes on the sides are what I call “twister resisters” in that their function is to keep the sculpture from spinning around the center axis rod. I have no images of the joining since I was actually holding the bronze man while the threads were being tightened.

I cannot tell you just how happy it makes me to see this bronze figure sculpture realized. I hope to be sharing photos of him with you soon.



No comments: