Monday, September 15, 2008

Bronze Sculpture Decay Restoration

Cari Amici (Dear Friends),

The doors of bronze on the west façade of the Duomo in Milan, Italy, were incredibly impressive. And so was their decay. While I have often seen bronze patinas worn away to raw metal by the persistent touches of dedicated appreciators of classical sculptures, I have not as often seen the metal encrusted in such a way that it looks flaky.

It was actually cool texture, but I wonder how healthy the bronze now is.

Some conservators naturally would be concerned about people rubbing on the bronze so often that it is impossible for the bronze to keep her patina. But for me, I would be delighted if my sculptures were loved and enjoyed by people, even if that meant the work changed over the centuries. Of course, I would not mind being around to see the effects of such a love first-hand!






If you like what you read, please consider supporting this blog a little bit . . .


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kelly,
Your work and photos and writing, all deserve a lot of compliments and gratitude.
Great sculp photos and writing quality too.
Best to you,
Gene