Monday, June 9, 2008

Wildflowers, Water, and Herbs in Alps Mountains, Cercivento, Italy


Cari Amici,

The mountains seem to hold everything, including these small gems of wildflowers that I have photographed. These images were taken in the Alps of Cervicento, Italia, in the region called Carnia (Alpi Carniche) I have always loved blue flowers, especially when wild. The flowers in these first two images are named “Eyes of the Madonna” and I do not know the name of the other tiny blue wildflowers that have the white or yellow center with the dark dot inside.



This red flower is called a mountain rose (by my friend at least). She does not have much of a fragrance either, but is still quite lovely.


Allora, water is my favorite thing to drink. Only, I prefer simply H-2-0. No bubbles. No chemicals. No minerals. Just the beauty of three – 2 hydrogens plus one oxygen. Cercivento has the best tasting tap water that I have had the pleasure to drink in Italy (and elsewhere). It comes from mountain streams, such as the one you see me drinking from and at another, filling up bottles. (OK, yes these bottles are plastic, but I did not prepare adequately and wanted a proper souvenir of my trip.)


It is near these pure water streams high up in the mountains that the following medicinal herb grows. Although my friend did not know the name of this plant, I was enticed to try it. (I am sometimes amazed at how trusting I am!)
One eats the spicy leaves, not the flowers. If you know what plant this is, please share the information by way of this blog or my e-mail address. Va bene?

So, I hope you enjoy these images and that you start noticing how beautiful are the small things around you.

And now, I bid you good evening as I return to determining my summer teaching schedule in Texas.

Ciao ragazzi!
Kelly

No comments: