Friday, December 14, 2007

Drawing of Sara in Charcoal


Even though I am back in Texas and working on my sculpture projects, my mind cannot help but linger on the main drawing that I did not finish while in Italia. I really wanted to keep working on my charcoal drawing of Sara after my time with the model ended, but I had too many friends to visit before I returned to gli stati uniti.

My friend Skye Campbell took this foto of me during one of the model breaks. While I have some more turning of the figure to do, such as making the shoulder and pectoral form darker on the viewer’s left side, most of the work left is everything other than the figure in the drawing.

Per esempio, I have exaggerated the reflected light on the spine of the book under the model’s foot, as I often do when making notes to myself. The exaggeration reminds me that something is there to address, whereas a subtler note might become an overlooked detail, or a missed opportunity. There are subtle changes to be made to the book to show that the source light is falls brighter on one end of the book than on the other. In addition, the big black box that the model sits upon needs more work, mostly darkening the top plane, but also improving the gradation of tone to show more depth to the box itself. The floor and the background wall need to have these sorts of subtleties finessed as well. I will add more movement of tone to improve the interest in this charcoal drawing.

4 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

This is looking very fine Kelly. I'm looking forward to the finish.
Welcome home....

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

ha ha, Jo. I was hoping the night time helpers of fairy tales would finish that work for me while I was away from Italia! I love the look of charcoal and even creating drawings in charcoal, but it takes a lot of time. I do not feel particularly productive. That must change if I am to eat . . . Buon Natale e grazie!

Anonymous said...

Kelly, I am stunned by this drawing..the sharp clarity of light and shadow astounding in the media of charcoal - wow, I just love this work. Keep it coming!

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

aw, shucks, ma'am. grazie mille!
Kelly