Friday, December 7, 2007

All in A Day’s Work – Drawing


So, I am coming to the end of my projects. Here is what my weekday often looks like: from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., I work on my charcoal drawing of Sara. Then from 2 to 5 p.m. I work on my charcoal drawing of a plaster cast of a sculpted ear using the sight-size method. I do not actually see it as an ear. For the longest time I have only seen abstracted shapes, such as the duckie, the infinity symbol, and the sideways apostrophe mark.

Monday, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays, I draw from live models (portraits the first two days, one 2-hour pose of the figure on the third day) from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. I host the Wednesday evening sessions of lots of artists sharing model expenses. Thursdays are art history night, often with two events at two different art schools here in Florence, Italy: Angel Academy of Art and the Charles H. Cecil Studios. Fridays, I have the option to draw from life again or usually, just catch up on other projects or maybe even go out with a friend.

After drawing each night, I then work some more on my drawing of Sara (without the model) until 9 p.m. Much of working with charcoal means using the point. By this I mean that the charcoal stick must be sanded to a fine point in order to be applied to the paper, especially when trying to remove any blotchiness from using other application methods. My figure of Sara is 60 centimeters tall. She has taken up a lot of time, but I am happy with the progress I am making.

The rest of the time, I am either living life, meeting new people, or doing laundry or something. Perhaps this is not the exciting life some imagined – being in Italia and all – but I am really refining my skills as an artist and I love it.

3 comments:

Jo Castillo said...

Hey Kelly, thanks for sharing. You are making great progress it seems. :)

Anonymous said...

hi kelly
it was nice reading your blog
the abstract forms of an ear was really interesting.
i m an artist myself and wish to study in italy. realism for that matter.
can you give me some insight as to which out of the three schools is the best to study there in terms of work and art history both.
cecil studios, florence academy and angel academy.
or if u could name a few good ateliers in america.
thanks

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Dear Anonymous,
It is difficult for me to recommend one school over another for other artists. Some reasons include: my brain works a bit differently from some people and what would appeal to me about one school may not work at all for another artist. Also, I do not know enough about the programs in each of these schools or the ambiance, etc. to be able to give you an accurate image of what is available in Firenze.

I have heard it summed up by several art students here that Florence Academy is strongest on the figure; Cecil Studios, the portrait; and Angel Academy of Art, still life. However, I am not so sure I agree with this simplication.

My best suggestion is to peruse their Web sites and if possible, visit each school. It is best if you are aware of what you need most to learn the most efficiently. And look at the work being created by other students. Of course, you must first know what it is (clearly) that you want from a school experience. That alone might help you exclude otherwise similar opportunities.

As far as the States go, I am not sure. But try Lyme Academy for sculpture and Jacob Collins in New York for painting. There may be more. For sculpture, get the magazine, Sculpture Review, the quarterly publication of the National Sculpture Society. NSS tends to foster a more classical working style.

Good luck,
Kelly