Sunday, November 4, 2007

Moving Furniture - Florence, Italy


After living in two different spaces now and having seen lots of homes in Florence, Italy, I sometimes wonder how furniture is actually moved into these tiny spaces. Scala (stairs) are often steep and narrow, and bending at right angles. The small windows in my last flat opened into a small courtyard. How was a loveseat/sofabed lifted up and fit into my 1st piano (2nd floor) room?

While walking along Via San Niccolò last Wednesday, I discovered that it is not always easy or obvious to those involved. In the photo here that I took, you can see that the green door was removed. I presume these guys tried lifting this couch up the stairwell first. When that failed, there became a bit of community involvement to hoist the furniture up into the window. There was a bit of a leverage problem, as you can see. Alas, I was on my way to the lithography school before they closed and can only presume that this endeavor was successful. There was no sign of a struggle when I walked past again.

5 comments:

Avel Angelica said...

Hi Kelly,

I just discovered your site a few days ago and have read it all now. I think you're very skilled as an artist and I think it's just great that you can follow your passion abroad.Are you attending school there?

Though I'm probably as old as your mom,I'm an artist too and and stepped out of my comfort zone a couple of months ago to started a blog, also.

Please come over for a visit and leave a comment it you like.

As artist's, we've all in it together:-))

Amber said...

that's hilarious. I'll bet moving out is easier: just let gravity to the work :)

Unknown said...

It is great to know this is an international problem with a common remedy. this reminds me of years ago here in San Marcos I worked for a furniture company as a delivery driver. On time some folks purchased a very nice overstuffed couch and wanted it delivered to their house they were remodeling off of MLK Street. When we got there it was a very small and older house with low ceilings. We couldn't get it down the hall and around the corner and it was too long to stand it on end. The carpenters just happen to be installing the new windows and the side of the house was open, a perfect fit for an overstuffed large couch to fit through. I have often wondered if a few years later someone ever tried to move that couch.

You new place looks really neat, enjoy. Happy holidays and may you have a great new year. Jon

Anonymous said...

Remember three moves is equal to a fire, when it comes to furniture.

Kelly Borsheim Artist said...

Ooh, thank you all for responding to my blog. I do not remember even seeing these original comments from years ago. Yes, perhaps this is the real reason that windows were "invented." lol.
And thanks, Roy, I will try to remember the fire idea!
I am so lucky that so many of my landlord's friends and neighbors are giving him stuff to help furnish my home...what a welcome!

Happy new year to all of you... this time it means 2016!
Kelly